Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mother's Day Belated


This was hands down the best Mother's Day yet. Granted, it's only our second one, and the first was a pretty tough contender. Still, the sight of Sasha running up to me with a flower in one hand, a handmade card in the other, with her arms open wide for a hug - this definitely pushed this year's Mother's Day over the top.

What can I say? Becoming a mother has given me existential whiplash and I'm loving nearly every minute of it. The minutes from between 12am - 5:30am - not so much. But, even then, when I'm soothing my daughter back to dreamland, even then I'm so glad to be right where I'm at in life.

A coworker recently commented me on my calm demeanor in the workplace. I told him that motherhood has taught me a great lesson about priorities. Nothing is more important to me than my family. I may love my work, and get satisfaction from the daily responsibilities, but the stress that comes up or the fires that need to be put out occasionally - well, it rolls off my back a little more easily now. As long as Sasha and Jay are safe and happy, everything else is icing on the cake. Compared to my family's health and safety, the stress of work feels diminished.

Sasha has made me a stronger person. I owe her for who I have become in the past year. She teaches me patience, determination, the power of being present. I look forward to what she has to teach me as she grows and learns and brings new joys and challenges to our lives.

I love you, sweet girl. Thanks for choosing me as your Mommy.

No comments: