Thursday, October 25, 2007

here comes the rain again...

Did I happen to mention that Sasha is the most beautiful, brilliant baby I know? I know, I know, everyone thinks their baby is the most beautiful and brilliant, but I swear she is special. What? Everyone once in a while I just need to be one of those moms. Every once in a while I need to compulsively italicize every other word. Ahhh, all better.

Jay and I have gone to a pumpkin patch every October since we've known each other. Every year we would wander the patch, just man and woman among the squash and the mud and the rosy-cheeked children. We'd pick out our favorite pumpkin, grab a steaming cup of cider, maybe pet a goat or feed a chicken. Despite our delight in pumpkin hunting, somehow it just always felt empty; like we were missing something. Every year we'd say, "It would probably be more fun if we brought a kid with us." There was one year that a 10 year old kid followed us through the corn maize. It was kind of cute at first, but then we started getting that itchy, annoyed feeling that childless folks do when chatty 10 year olds overstay their welcome. We decided then that it wasn't just enough to bring any old kid. We needed to bring a chatty tot of our own.

Long story short, it's much more fun now that Sasha is around. Sasha picked out a beautiful pumpkin which will be carved this weekend. Thank you, Sasha, for brightening our pumpkin hunts.

The auction at Tougo Coffee Co. for the Community Birth & Family Center was a great success. We made almost $2500 which is several hundred more dollars than I had expected to make. I was nervous that the space would be too small, but it ended up being perfect for the number of people who came. It almost makes me want to do it again!

No time for that, though. Stefanie and I are plugging away again at our business plan. As always, the numbers portion of the plan has us biting our nails and we need to find some friendly salon owners to give up their start-up numbers so that we can do first year projections. I have a few leads that I can work on, so I'm crossing my fingers that someone will be nice enough to divulge some numbers.

We also met with an architect, Ariel Kemp, and we like him despite the fact that he gave us homework. It's fun homework, though - finding visuals of spaces that we like, writing narratives, mapping out the space we envision. I like his previous work and he comes highly recommended by Brian, the owner of Tougo.

I need to raise a good chunk of money, though, so if any of you win the lottery and want to share, give me a call.





Word to all the mothers.

No comments: